Re: SQL query question with multi-tables in many-to-many

From: Lew Pitcher <lew.pitcher_at_digitalfreehold.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 13:55:55 -0400

Dave wrote:

> I have two tables and a join, or bridge table. I'm able to get the
> query I need to work using the older style implicit join (WHERE
> clauses), and understand why it works. I have also be able to get it to
> work (with some help) using JOIN/ON. The problem is that I really don't
> understand why it must be written the way it is. I would appreciate
> either a pointer to a tutorial on the subject, or perhaps someone can
> explain it in detail.

I've given this some thought, and can't come up with a reasonably simple explaination on my own. I just don't have the vocabulary for it, nor the understanding of the finer points.

However, a very simple Google search, using the phrase "sql join tutorial" brings up quite a few resources that explain, both in overview and in detail, the theory and practice of SQL JOINs.

While I haven't audited many of the returned pages, the w3schools page at   https://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_join.asp seems like a reasonable start.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"