Re: Can't connect to server

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 08:37:27 +0100

On 3/29/19 6:59 PM, Fokke Nauta wrote:

> On 29/03/2019 07:01, J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> This is what you do in the MySQL shell?
>>> A bit too complex for me :-)
>>
>> Yes, either in the shell or you can type it in phpmyadmin.
>>

>>> Everything I typed in there didn't work. Error messages.
>>
>> If not used to mysql sql queries, then it can be a bit difficult to
>> get everything right, but luckily there are some documentations online:
>>
>> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/func-op-summary-ref.html
>> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/numeric-type-overview.html
>> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/date-and-time-type-overview.html
>> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/string-type-overview.html
>> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/sql-syntax-data-manipulation.html
>>
>> Sure you don't just read the reference manual from page one to the
>> last one, if you want to learn more about mysql sql then better to
>> start with a tutorial like for example
>>
>> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/a-basic-mysql-tutorial
>> (sorry don't know how good it is as I haven't read it).
>>
>> And then you ask questions here when you don't figure out things :)
>>

> Well, the tutorial is for "How to Install MySQL on Ubuntu and CentOS".
> As I'm more familiar with Windows then with Linuxes, it's the OS on all
> our pc's.

The installation do differ between the OS:es, but how to configure and use it will still be the same.

This how to start can be useful if you are unfamiliar with SQL: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-getting-started/en/

just skip the top section how to install it on the worlds most used OS and just dive into the SQL part.

> But I'm happy to find a lot of information by googling.

There is loads out there, some good and some less good.

> But on the site you mention (dev.mysql.com) there's a lot of information
> as well, I noticed.
> And whet it gets too complicated for me,

As I said it's a reference manual, so it's more often used to remind yourself of the syntax when you want to do some things, but dev.mysql.com do have a lot more than just the reference manual :)

> And thanks for helping me out.

NP

> After installing the client (workbench) I
> noticed the network names have been changed from xxxx to xxxx.fritz.box.
> Thanks to our router but I don't know why.

I guess the nameserver in the router has been configure to use the fritz.box as the network name and then adds that to the host name, it's not the only brand who does that. Some routers you can change that in the admin interface (if you can and you do, remember that you may need to make new grants).
Myself I use pihole, as I don't like to be spied on and want to avoid harmful advertisement, in some cases you can install a third party firmware on your router which has pihole built in. If you want to test it, I would suggest use WSL (requires microsoft windows 10 or better), to run the pihole. (sorry to include off topic stuff).

> I wouldn't have found that out by myself. I'm not familiar with MySQL.

At least you figured it out :)

--

  //Aho