Re: PHP db will not allow modifications

From: Martin Gregorie <martin_at_mydomain.invalid>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 15:56:00 +0000 (UTC)

[Quoted] [Quoted] On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 09:30:42 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> On 11/8/2018 6:48 AM, super70s wrote:

>> In article <5be2ecc4$0$32263$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>,
>> Luuk <luuk_at_invalid.lan> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using the correct statement to update this table?
>>>
>>> What is the exact error message that is given when you try to update
>>> an article?

>> The message in the "New Article" window says "Article Information
>> Saved"
>> as normal, however it refuses to accept the modification.
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with this, in fact I had to
>> hire someone to install the db so I apologize if I "offended anyone's
>> senses."
>>
>> It isn't that big a deal really, I'm pretty good at proofreading the
>> articles before I post them but sometimes I'll spot a small typo or
>> something and want to go back and correct it (until now, lol).
>>

> It sounds like you aren't checking the result codes from your SQL
> statements, so your script does not tell you when a request failed.
>
> You should check the result of *every* database request - or you'll run
> into problems like this.  Fix your code and see what the failure is.

...and don't forget that some SQL statements generate a linked chain of exception messages if they fail. Trapping the first exception may tell your code that there is a problem and what sort it is, but if its fatal you probably need to see all the exceptions in the chain to understand what went wrong.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org