Re: GUI Tool for MariaDB

From: Axel Schwenke <axel.schwenke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 23:02:47 +0200

On 13.04.2018 19:15, Joseph Hesse wrote:
> On 04/12/2018 02:23 AM, Axel Schwenke wrote:

>> On 12.04.2018 00:02, Joseph Hesse wrote:
>>> MySQL workbench does not seem to work with MariaDB.
>>
>> How dit you make that out? MariaDB is 99.9 percent compatible with MySQL
>> (100% with older versions of MySQL - up to 5.6). And since Workbench works
>> with those MySQL releases, it will with MariaDB.

> In spite of MariaDB's claim that it is 100% compatible with MySQL, the
> latest version of MySQL workbench connects to the MariaDB server with a
> warning message.

How is that "in spite"? MariaDB clearly announces that it is MariaDB (try SELECT VERSION() for a start). Hence it would be trivial for Oracle to check if the connected server is MySQL or MariaDB. And to emit a warning message if they detect the competition.

> Other's have reported the same problem.

And why is this a problem? What does the warning(!) message say? Is there something that doesn't work? Something that should work (not being in the 0.1% of known and documented incompatibilities)? Or are they just spreading FUD? I wouldn't expect anything else from Oracle, but why are you helping them with that? Received on Fri Apr 13 2018 - 23:02:47 CEST

Original text of this message