Re: Ubuntu MySQL install with Virtualmin - password problems with 16.04.4 server

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp_at_invalid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 14:47:40 +0100

On 30/03/18 12:49, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
> On 30/03/2018 12:04, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>> On 29/03/18 19:09, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
>>> I am able to get in to mysql by simply using "mysql --user=root" as
>>> superuser on the machine console - so there is not problem getting
>>> access to the database.
>>>
>>> I don't understand how it is that I can assign a root password as part
>>> of the Virtualmin install, which Virtualmin then uses to administer
>>> the database - but I cannot use that same password to log in, even at
>>> the console.
>>
>> But the above seems to induicated that you can do exactly that?
>>
>> I am confused.
>>
>> 'I am able to get in to mysql by simply using "mysql --user=root" as
>> superuser on the machine console' suggests that there is a functional
>> root account and password.
>>
>> That works on a console.
>>
>> Explain what your real problem is?
>>

> If you are confused, or you don't know what the real problem is, and you
> don't use Virtualmin then it might be best to not attempt a reply ?

I was not attempting a reply, I was requesting further elucidation of the problem

In the hopes that a useful reply might be forthcoming

If you dont have anything constructive to add then it might be best to not attempt a comment ?

--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump