Re: Ubuntu MySQL install with Virtualmin - password problems with 16.04.4 server

From: Abandoned Trolley <russell_at_fredswedlock.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 19:09:41 +0100

> On 29/03/18 15:51, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

>>> No, don't use it.

>>> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/resetting-permissions.html
>>>

>> I was hoping to get a response from somebody who actually uses Virtualmin
>>
> I have used it (well webmin) in the past, but never to install mysql
>
> Can you acess mysql at all on the host? Can you get a console session?
>
> Can you set up phpmydamin? I find that is a pretty good interface to
> mysql at least to start with
>
> Its a bit open to hacking for long term use unless you take precautions
>

>> AT
>>
>> ---
>> http://www.avg.com

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am able to get in to mysql by simply using "mysql --user=root" as superuser on the machine console - so there is not problem getting access to the database.

[Quoted] I don't understand how it is that I can assign a root password as part of the Virtualmin install, which Virtualmin then uses to administer the database - but I cannot use that same password to log in, even at the console.

AT Received on Thu Mar 29 2018 - 20:09:41 CEST

Original text of this message