Re: Ubuntu MySQL install with Virtualmin - password problems with 16.04.4 server

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp_at_invalid.invalid>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 16:36:05 +0100

[Quoted] >> On 03/29/18 11:38, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> Is there anybody out there having problems with the MySQL root password
>>> when MySQL installion is carried out by Virtualmin.
>>
>> No, don't use it.
>>

>>> I am using the latest Virtualmin install script, and a fresh clean
>>> install of the latest 16.04.4 server distro but I still keep getting
>>> locked out.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions ?
>>
>> https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/resetting-permissions.html
>>

> I was hoping to get a response from somebody who actually uses Virtualmin

I have used it (well webmin) in the past, but never to install mysql

Can you acess mysql at all on the host? Can you get a console session?

Can you set up phpmydamin? I find that is a pretty good interface to mysql at least to start with

Its a bit open to hacking for long term use unless you take precautions

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell