Re: our favorite languages Problem with dynamic statement in bash

From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp_at_invalid.invalid>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 08:50:18 +0000

On 19/01/18 23:30, Axel Schwenke wrote:
> On 19.01.2018 19:54, John Levine wrote:

>> The Natural Philosopher  <tnp_at_invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> And PERL, which was all the rage amongst my employees in the 90s
>>> None of them ever produced any useable code in it though.
>>> Wheras the C gurus produced stuff that worked.
>>
>> You have my condolences that your employees were incompetent, but I
>> can assure you I know lots of people who have written all sorts of
>> perl code that really works.

> Oh, come on. This is just TNP. He has no idea what is good or wrong.
> If in doubt, just negate what he said and you will be perfectly ok.

On the contary Axel: I speak only from experience, not from arguments to authority.
  • Barclays bank - a world class bank. Cannot write a website that works with Linux. Using some javasript 'framework' that checks to see what OS you are using. And doesn't work if it's linux.
  • When attempting to renormalise a UK postcode database of around 1 million records, Mysql nested queries hadn't completed after 4 hours. I rewrote the problem in C, handling the nesting by multiple but SIMPLE mysql calls - program completed in 20 minutes...
  • trying to use PHP to prepare a 697859 record CSV file from a database table, it barfs half way through after repeated calls to mysqli_fetch_row cause 'run out of memory' issues. Raising the memory in PHP (why not dynamically allocate it? ) made no difference. Rewritten in C runs 4 times as fast and doesn't have any memory issues.
  • Paypal insists on me providing a 'house number' and a street number' when recording my company details. In the UK we dont have 'street numbers' (or perhaps 'House numbers'. Who actually KNOWS the difference? I don't) But it will accept WHITE SPACE ...
  • I could go on, and on. Code today is written using high level crap that is ridden with bugs, by amateur coders - or worse - 'creatives' when it comes to web sites - Its bloated. insecure and prone to 3rd party library errors. And this is accepted as normal by the largest corporations out there.

My point? Just because a large organisations use product X doesnt make product X any good. Nor does quality of code have anything to do with size of organisation.

PHP is not C, and mysql is not Oracle. Both are, compared with their alternatives, a bit 'toy'. And so is PERL.

All have been utilised far beyond their level of competence, as have the programmers who deploy them.

All the PERL gurus I have ever met were by and large a bit amateurish, and learnt the language as far as I could tell, to show how clever they were. Leastways they were forever showing off in it. None of them produced code worth a damn. I dare say there are good coders who can write PERL, just as there may be good drivers who used to drive Volvos, and now drive Audis, but they are the exception. Bad drivers always chose Volvos, and now they choose Auidis. No idea why. Its just observable fact.

I dont have a problem with that. I do have a problem with denial of it though.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"