Re: remove gaps in a table

From: mireero <mireero_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 13:28:22 +0100

On 12/20/2017 12:07 PM, Gordon Burditt wrote:

>> - order_id is unique
>> - order_number is unique for a given month and start back at 1 every month.
>> - there are gaps in the order_id sequence, for example, in october, we
>> have 4 orders with order_number: 1, 2, 3, 5.
>> In november, we have 6 orders with order_number: 1, 2, 4, 9, 10.

[Quoted] >> I'm looking for a way to "reduce" the order_number, to remove gaps, that
>> is to obtain:

> It seems to me that the point of an order_id is so the customer and
> your company can use it to refer to a specific order in communications
> between them. In this case, every time you change an order_id, you
> have to inform the customer. Customers won't put up with that for
> very long.
>
> If you think about it, it gets even worse with bank account numbers
> where you have transactions in transit with bank account numbers
> on them, and the consequences of having a transaction get attached
> to the wrong account are much more serious.
>
> It's not at all uncommon for a change in a database to have or need
> real-world consequences.

In this case, the order_id is the really unique and everlasting identifier of an order.
The order_number is only an interface with the client. I agree that it shouldn't change.
But I have gaps... Received on Wed Dec 20 2017 - 13:28:22 CET

Original text of this message