Re: remove gaps in a table

From: mireero <mireero_at_free.fr>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 01:01:40 +0100

[Quoted] On 12/20/2017 12:29 AM, J�rgen Exner wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 22:03:16 +0100, mireero <mireero_at_free.fr> wrote in
> comp.databases.mysql:
>
> [...]

>> I'm looking for a way to "reduce" the order_number, to remove gaps, that
>> is to obtain:

> [...]
>> I guess we could just iterate on all rows and set the order_number,
>> beginning from 1 but I have the feeling I'm missing something.
>>
>> Note: in the real table, there are thousands of rows.

> Are you sure this is a good idea? I just imagine a customer calling:
>
> "Good morning. This is ACME Corporation customer support. How may I help
> you".
> "Good morning. We have an issue with our last order. The order number is
> 12345".
> "Just a second, let me look this up. Ah, yes, I see. What is the problem
> with the 50 anal beads?"
> "Anal beads? This is the Jesuit Convent of xyz and I am calling about
> the order for 30 rosaries!".
>
> jue

[Quoted] Thanks for all the answers.

I do get the idea, don't store the order_number in the database. It's seducing (by the way, I need to be sure that no order will be deleted in the future).

But still, if the order_number is not stored, how would I fetch an order just knowing the order_number (and the month) ? Received on Wed Dec 20 2017 - 01:01:40 CET

Original text of this message