Re: creating view with user variable

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:48:11 -0500

On 1/26/2017 10:41 AM, David wrote:

> On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 3:27:55 PM UTC, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>>> Sorry Jerry, Yes I know I should have given the more information and the full error.
>>>
>>> So my Procedure creation is like this:
>>>
>>> CREATE PROCEDURE test(IN AccountID INT(15), IN FIELD VARCHAR(15), IN DIRECTION VARCHAR(4))
>>>
>>> And basically I want "FIELD" and "DIRECTION" to be within the ORDER BY clause like this:
>>>
>>> SELECT orderID,package,details FROM userOrders WHERE uid = AccountID ORDER BY FIELD DIRECTION;
>>>
>>> so if the procedure is called like:
>>>
>>> CALL test(1000,'orderID','ASC');
>>>
>>> then the procedure will swap out FIELD and DIRECTION for orderID and ASC like:
>>>
>>> SELECT orderID,package,details FROM userOrders WHERE uid = AccountID ORDER BY orderID ASC;
>>>
>>> I hope this makes more sense.
>>>
>>> I know using javascript is probably a lot more efficient, but at the moment I would like to keep the procedure doing the work.
>>>
>>> Dave.
>>>

>> Dave,
>>
>> Sorry, SQL doesn't allow you to specify column names like this.  It's
>> not must MySQL - it's also true in every other RDBMS I'm familiar with.
>>
>> --
>> ==================
>> Remove the "x" from my email address
>> Jerry Stuckle
>> jstucklex_at_attglobal.net
>> ==================
>
> Hmmm, I was just about to update this post stating I have managed to do it when I notice you say its not possible :/

[Quoted] > So in case anyone else comes across this issue, here is how I did it using CONCAT()... leaving out a lot of the SQL (as I dont think its relevant

> DELIMITER $$
> CREATE PROCEDURE fetchClientOrders(IN AccountID INT(11), IN col VARCHAR(15), IN dir VARCHAR(4))
>  BEGIN
>   SET _at_accountID = AccountID;
>   SET _at_col = col;
>   SET _at_dir = dir;
>   SET _at_sort = CONCAT('ORDER BY ',_at_col,' ',_at_dir,'');
>   SET _at_query = CONCAT('SELECT orderID,orderDetails,package,submissionDate FROM userOrders WHERE acc_id = ',_at_accountID,' ',_at_sort,'');
> PREPARE stmt FROM _at_query;
> EXECUTE stmt;
> DEALLOCATE PREPARE stmt;
> END$$
>
> Dave.

Dave,

[Quoted] Yes, you can use a prepared statement for that. Much less efficient, though and I tend to stay away from it. When doing things like this, I generally use RPCs - much more efficient and faster.

But you can't do it with the SQL you were trying.

--