Re: Changing Database Files Path

From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 21:01:56 -0500

On 11/30/2016 11:23 PM, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> -> From: Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net>
> -> Subject: Re: Changing Database Files Path
>
> -> > So, I am turning to this message area for help and assistance and
> -> > guidance into the right direction so that I can get the databases
> -> > working on a larger, faster drive than the 32GB SD card I boot from
> ->
> -> Sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop, and you never indicated what y
> -> did to try to move your databases or what your error message(s)
> -> was/were. So I have no idea what your problem might be.
> ->
>
> Basically, move the mysql database files to the new drive, update the
> permissions as necessary in case the permissions did not copy over, and
> then point the data directory path over to the new location of the
> database files in my.cnf and then restart the mysql service. I've done
> it before like that multiple times and it worked every time, just not
> sure what this one difference was.

Not knowing exactly the steps you took and what the result was, it's anyone's guess. But if you did it right, it works.

But one thing I have found - external drives don't work well. Too many potential problems, often due to temporary network problems (which are often ignored by TCP/IP, but can cause major problems on a database).

> -> And BTW - this is usenet, not a "message area".
>
> I guess it just depends all on the way it presented, now doesn't it?

Nope. Usenet is usenet. It is not a "message area".

--
Remove the "x" from my email address