Re: Running out of disk space

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 19:08:52 +0200

On 10/19/2016 03:41 PM, bit-naughty_at_hotmail.com wrote:

<fixed nasty top-posting>

> On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 11:48:39 AM UTC, bill wrote:

>> On 10/14/2016 4:07 PM, wrote:
>>> If my server hard disk becomes full, is there a way to stretch out the MySQL DB over multiple hard drives? What needs to be done?
>>>

>> If the OS supports it you can use Logical Volumes.
>> Ubuntu permits one "volume" to span several disks, and to expand
>> it dynamically.

LVM ain't default in all distributions and the OP may have chosen not use it. File systems like ZFS and BtrFS can attach more devices without the need of using LVM.

> Does that include *over a network*, ie. the 2 disks can be on separate machines?? How?

LVM by itself do not support network devices. Using iSCSI or ATAoE you could attach a such device to the LVM, but you will run into trouble if you can't connect to the network device, you would either loose part of your data to all of the data depending on how your LVM setup looks like. The iSCSI/ATAoE could become the bottleneck in the system, which could make the database quite slow. Sure there are databases running on network storage devices, but then you usually have something like fiberchannel.

--

 //Aho