Re: Load overshooting ONE server

From: Axel Schwenke <axel.schwenke_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 16:47:35 +0200

On 06.09.2016 08:24, bit-naughty_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> If you have a website whose main job is to put in and retrieve from a MySQL DB,
> and the load of the site overshoots 1 server, what do you do, exactly?

First I find out, *what* is eating all the cpu on the server, because it /might/ be MySQL and then it might not.

When it is sure that it *is* MySQL, then I would find out *what* is slow. And then *why* it is slow.

In most cases it's just bad SQL or missing indexes or both. This is rather trivial to fix.

In few cases you will really need more memory or more cpu cores or faster disks (SSD). But this is not the normal case. Received on Tue Sep 06 2016 - 16:47:35 CEST

Original text of this message