Re: Installing mySQL on windows XP

From: J.O. Aho <user_at_example.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 10:08:02 +0100

On 12/05/2015 05:56 AM, jmclifford_at_aanet.com.au wrote:

> I am having trouble with the above process. The installers (.msi) all seem to want Vista or later.

This is for newer packages for microsoft windows do use functionality which ain't in microsoft windows xp and the reason for that is that microsoft has dropped support for microsoft windwos xp. You can always install older versions of mysql and mysql-workbench, but you will still have all the vulnerabilities which microsoft didn't fix in microsoft windows xp and those in the older versions of mysql and mysql-workbench.

> I have XP and presume this implies a 32 bit machine.

No, there was a 64bit version of micrsofot windows xp and there are 43bit version of vista and later versions too.

I would recommendation of you visiting www.distrowatch.com and select a nice version of Linux and replace your microsoft windows xp. Those tend do have both mysql and mysql-workbench as part of all the applications that you get access to without visiting some shady download site.

--

 //Aho