Re: Mysql backup

From: Peter H. Coffin <hellsop_at_ninehells.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 12:16:29 -0500

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 16:07:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> On 08/03/15 15:11, Michael Vilain wrote:

>> In article <23766381.ZMWZCBpQVG_at_pc-jasio.stozek.waw.pl>,
>> Jan Stozek <conus-spm_at_chello.pl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a MariaDB server for my home purposes. Recently it went
>>> nuts, so I wanted to restore a last day's state - I make an almost
>>> full backup every night.
>>>
>>> I stopped the mysql service, zipped the current contents of the
>>> /var/lib/mysql directory (just in case), restored the contents of the
>>> directory from a backup, and tried to start the service. It failed,
>>> with no meaningful trace in the system log - just an info that
>>> something had gone wrong, the mysqld did not appear within 30 seconds,
>>> and there was no /var/run/mysql.pid.
>>>
>>> I tried to restore the previous state of the server by
>>> unzipping the /var/lib/mysql files back, but the result was exactly
>>> the same: the server did not start any more.
>>>
>>> Reboot did not help either.
>>>
>>> How can I fix the situation?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your help.
>>
>> That's not a backup.
>
> IF you use ISAM it effectively is.
>
> I suspect the permissions may be wring.

And I would suspect ISAM is not the way to bet. MariaDB uses by default INNO, Aria, or XtraDB depending on version and bundle, and they're ALL based on INNO.

The real question is "What does the error log say?" Everything before that is guesswork and as reliable as pissing upwind.

--
"This system operates under martial law. The constitution is suspended.
 You have no rights except as declared by the area commander. Violators