Re: Viewing the server commands

From: Peter H. Coffin <hellsop_at_ninehells.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:26:51 -0600

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:39:34 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> On 22/12/14 18:07, Peter H. Coffin wrote:

>>> I just see that the above paragraph seems to be wrong.
>>> But the question of the next paragraph still remains:

>> This is really one of those situations that needs to start with "What
>> problem are you trying to solve?"
>>
> ..and continues with 'and what exactly do you mean by 'sends to the > server' and 'would you include the packet headers, for an IP connection.'

Maybe, but that's only one of many possible follow-ups, and not even the likeliest of them. If the problem involves "I want to programmatically learn information about database objects and parsing text is hard for me" then pointing someone at the INFORMATION_SCHEMA contents is the job done. If the problem is actually that the user doesn't have access to SHOW for permissions reasons, then trying to send commands to the server won't bypass anything. Or the OP is trying the right thing but doesn't have the charset environment set right for some of the names. Etc. The odds that "the commands the CLP actually sends to the server" are even important is pretty slim because there's very little that happens in the MySQL command-line client that *isn't* passed directly on to the server. It's essentially a line-editor and output-formatter.

--
"Every new technology carries with it an opportunity to invent a new
crime." --Laurence Urgenson (an assistant chief US attorney),