RE: TOAD And sqlnet.ora Security

From: Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 20:52:45 +0000

Ok, I believe I figured this out. I had two Oracle homes on my PC, 12.1 and 19.3. Even though I told TOAD to use the 19.3 one, it appears that it continued to use the 12.1 home. I renamed the 12.1 home directory, so TOAD couldn’t find it, and now it works.

Scott Canaan ‘88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration
Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520
srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Shane Borden Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 12:49 PM To: Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu>
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: TOAD And sqlnet.ora Security

How old is your version of toad?
Shane Borden
sborden76_at_yahoo.com<mailto:sborden76_at_yahoo.com> Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2021, at 12:40 PM, Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu>> wrote:
I’ve set up my sqlnet.ora with the following entries:

SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_CLIENT = REQUIRED SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_CLIENT= (SHA512) The server has the following settings:

SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_SERVER= (SHA512)
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_CLIENT= (SHA512)
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_CLIENT = REQUIRED
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_SERVER = REQUIRED

If I connect via SQL*Plus, it works and I get the SHA512 value: NETWORK_SERVICE_BANNER

TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for Linux: Version 19.0.0.0.0 - Production Encryption service for Linux: Version 19.0.0.0.0 - Production AES256 Encryption service adapter for Linux: Version 19.0.0.0.0 - Production Crypto-checksumming service for Linux: Version 19.0.0.0.0 - Production SHA512 Crypto-checksumming service adapter for Linux: Version 19.0.0.0.0 – Production

If I try to connect via TOAD, it fails with an ORA-12560 error. If I change the REQUIRED to REQUESTED, it connects, but doesn’t choose an adapter. If I add SHA1 to the types list, it will connect and use that one. Is TOAD not compatible with anything above SHA1 (I tried SHA256 as well with the same results)?

As far as I can see, it is configured correctly, so why doesn’t TOAD like it? I didn’t find anything on their website about it.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 29 2021 - 21:52:45 CET

Original text of this message