RE: CI/CD Tools

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:16:34 -0800 (PST)

You don’t have to use XML in a lb changeset, but if you want SQLcl to generate those changelogs for you, then it will be in XML (via dbms_metadata, basically).

They also support SQL and JSON (I think).

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 1:35 PM
To: oracle-l-freelist <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: CI/CD Tools

For those that are, what are you using for Continuous Integration/Development in your shop? We are starting to look for some. We have a good manual system where all changes get deployed by calling a single "install.sql" file, that file calls other files to compile packages, modify data and tables,etc but if gives us the DBA a single file to run. And we use Git but I would really like to get to the point where we can approve changes and then they automatically get deployed when the developers want them instead of us always having to run them. It does sound kind of scary for things to run on their own but I think we need to get there.

We do a lot of custom development and have a single database that runs many different applications with many different schemas. So those pay per schemas would not work well for us.  There are times where we are doing 10 or more updates in a day, some big some are single file changes, again across different applications.  We have another smaller database that is also set up similar.

We are looking at Flexdeploy. I did not like Liquabase and having to have everything in XML files, that seems like it would cause more work. I know there is Jenkins and one of our developers is looking at that.

Let me know what you use or the pros and cons of the whole idea.

Jeff