Re: Multiple sqlplus sessions from a single sqlplus session

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 14:45:09 -0500

Hi Kunwar,

You can have multiple threads, each thread connected to a different session. As a matter of fact, any ORM has a thread factory class which does precisely what I described. A single thread can maintain more than one connection. However, you asked about SQL*Plus. All of the mentioned tools are CLI tools: SQL*Plus, tmux, screen (GNU version of tmux, more standard and more well known than tmux) and SQL*Developer. When writing a program, you can do something like this:

try:
con1 = cx_Oracle.connect(username1)
query1 = con1.cursor()
query1.execute(sql)
query1.arraysize = nrows
con2 = cx_Oracle.connect(username2)
query2 = con2.cursor()
query2.execute(sql)
query2.arraysize = nrows
exceptcx_Oracle.DatabaseError asora_err: oerr = ora_err.args[0]
print(f"Oracle error: {oerr}")

That is Python code, Java code would be similar. Connections con1 and con2 are independent of each other and maintain separate statuses. However, you should take great care when doing something like this because you must close both connections and close all cursors for both connections or you will have a very nasty memory leak in your application. Happy New Year!

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant