RE: sql developer vs sqlplus sql and plsql syntax

From: Clay Jackson (cjackson) <"Clay>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:25:40 +0000

LOL as well! My first “real” job was as a COBOL coder at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, circa 1976. I worked on a “suite” of programs collectively called “Shipyard MIS”. One program I worked on had been written in the early 60s, and “translated” into various “Dialects” at least 30 times. The IDENTIFICATION DIVISION was at least 100 pages of green-bar. The real standout was that buried in the middle of this monster was a “GOTO DEPENDING ON” statement with 50+ targets.

And I agree, the fact that “Software Engineering” seems like a new message is VERY scary.

Clay

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 10:07 AM To: jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com; exriscer_at_gmail.com Cc: 'Oracle Mailinglist' <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: sql developer vs sqlplus sql and plsql syntax

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not follow guidance, click links, or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

LOL, and +42.

One of my early bosses/mentors, Greg Lupfer, noticed that COBOL was the most portable language, but was onerously verbose to code (and especially folks were crappy at the identification division), so he wrote the BASEBOL(pronounced baseball). You could write it in basic6 (the actual basic from Dartmouth) and out would pop COBOL for the machine/operating system you specified (from a list of about 22 choices).

But, even though that would usually work, it was a requirement to instantiate the full suite of COBOL on the target as part of the regression test.

Circa 1981, EVERYONE pushing systems used in any way by a major corporation or da gummint did this sort of regression test and saved the transcripts in an archive, along with making an escrow copy of the code. At least if you wanted to get paid…

“if you’re not testing it exactly as it’s going to run in production, that’s FAIL.”

This applies (or should) equally well to waterfall and agile development methods. It scares me that it seems like a new message!

mwf

Subject: RE: sql developer vs sqlplus sql and plsql syntax

Or…ask the DBAs to meet their developers half way and start using SQLcl to do the pushes to prod.

There are SET commands you can use to define what statement delimiters you want, but again, at the end of the day, if you’re not testing it exactly as it’s going to run in production, that’s FAIL.

From: Ls Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com<mailto:exriscer_at_gmail.com>> Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 10:09 AM To: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com<mailto:jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>> Cc: Oracle Mailinglist <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Re: sql developer vs sqlplus sql and plsql syntax

Hi

"If you know the DBAs are using SQL*Plus to roll out updates, then the developers need to USE SQL*Plus for testing their scripts. It’s that simple."

Yes, that is being asked, the developers MUST test their scripts with SQLPLUS otherwise there is no way to automate updates. But the developers have never used SQLPLUS so it is very hard to ask them to move from GUI to CLI. So I was thinking if SQL developer could configure in such a way so semicolon and backslash can be forced...

BR

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:41 PM Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com<mailto:jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>> wrote: If you ever want to talk to me, feel free to contact me directly Jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com<mailto:Jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>

DBA team and the developers because the developers write codes in SQL developer then they upload them as script for the DBA to run in the test/prod environment which all fails (and plsql objects not created) obecause DBA's uses SQLPLUS and because most SQL execution request are batched with SQLPLUS.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Bad, bad, bad. Developers and DBAs need to agree on the requirements for production rollouts/promoting code.

If you know the DBAs are using SQL*Plus to roll out updates, then the developers need to USE SQL*Plus for testing their scripts. It’s that simple.

The DBAs should have figured out by now what was going on and had some checks in place to prevent this from happening accidently. This is more of a communication issue than a tooling issue.

Jeff

Hi

This is for Jeff Smith! :-)

I would like to know why SQL Developer allow people to execute SQL code without semicolon and PLSQL code with backslash? (OK TOAD does the same thing but it is not made by Oracle)

For example code such as this works in SQL developer

This is causing some serious conflicts between DBA team and the developers because the developers write codes in SQL developer then they upload them as script for the DBA to run in the test/prod environment which all fails (and plsql objects not created) obecause DBA's uses SQLPLUS and because most SQL execution request are batched with SQLPLUS.

The developers claim if the code runs in SQL developer it must run in SQLPLUS because it is a tool from Oracle. Is there a way to configure SQL Developer so it can have the same behaviour as SQLPLUS?

Thanks