Re: Tracking usage of index

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 16:40:49 -0800

What I have done:

  • scrape the join of gv$sql and gv$sql_plan every 5 minutes
  • save owner, index to a table for any new plans found in v$sql_plan

the longer it runs, the more you will know.

eg. that index that is important at the end of a quarter will only show up occasionally
and even then, you may want to drop it, and rebuild when necessary

After a year, any index that doesn't show up in a report is probably of questionable value.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Oracle ACE Alumni
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Github: https://github.com/jkstill