Re: Database Upgrade

From: Sanjay Mishra <"Sanjay>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 00:58:08 +0000 (UTC)

 Kerm
Thanks for the useful links as it has lots of details. I want to try RMAN restore from TAPE and IS it possible that I can only restore PDB with only non-application tablespace. This can help to test the in-place upgrade. This can help to save time for big restore to test some in-place upgrade option. TxSanjay

    On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 12:01:06 PM EST, Ilmar Kerm <ilmar.kerm_at_gmail.com> wrote:

 Oracle itself publishes comprehensive advice on different database upgrade/migration options:https://mikedietrichde.com/slides/

And tools to automate this process:https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/rac/zdm.html

Migrating using GG - it is quite a labour intensive process to prepare and you need to have good knowledge about how the application works - it is not for everyone/everything. On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 12:05 AM Sanjay Mishra <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> wrote:

Hi Everyone
I had 160 Tb Database in 12.2 and had to upgrade to 19c. Can you please suggest the best option that can help to update with small downtime and also option to rollback for any failure without going for big Restore that can take day for the restore. Some details for the database and option that can be used are

  • 12.2 is CDB with one PDB that has to be upgraded
  • ASM storage has additional 200 Tb available to be used for this upgrade purpose ,if required for any optionĀ
  • It is Exadata with two nodeĀ
  • Environment also has Dataguard on another Data Center with same hardware like primary
  • Golden Gate license is available for any option that can save downtime Thanks for your time and suggestion Sanjay
--
Ilmar Kerm