DBA Team Communications

From: Freeman, Donald G. CTR <donald.freeman.ctr_at_ablcda.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 15:16:14 +0000

Haven't contributed anything in a long time. I had to send this to my team this morning and thought it may be useful for other dba team leaders.

Rule 1
If I ask you to do, look at, provide, review, fix, report, respond, create, delete, or move something in an email or other communication respond, with an affirmation that you have received the direction.

Answer, OK, Got It, Roger, Will Do or something indicating you have received the communication. Because when you don't do that I am left wondering if you got it. I don't want to wonder. It makes my head hurt and forces me to ask you again, "Did you get that?" That's inefficient.

Rule 2
If I ask you more than one thing in an email then in your response answer all the questions, not just the first one. Take as many emails as you like, but answer all the questions so I don't have to circle back and ask you again.

Rule 3
If it's important, I'll put in a ticket. Then nobody has to remember because the ticket won't go away by itself.

Rule 4
Be thoughtful in dropping people off an email thread. When I send an email with a distro list to you carefully consider before you turn a public communication into a private one. I know you don't know all these people and are nervous about being judged by a bunch of random people on an email. I generally don't lard up emails with people who don't have a need to know about the subject.

If you turn it into a private one and give me information that everyone needs to know then I have to send ANOTHER email to the same list of people to communicate your thoughts. So, if you have questions you don't want to viewed by all then call me on the phone or send me a chat. Or, you can decline to answer it to everybody and say something like, "I'd like to take this off-line before I answer" or, "I'll call you," but don't break the chain. Got it?