RE: MpxTestDaemon

From: <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 22:16:55 -0700

The intel MPX "multi processor extensions" were removed from the kernel and gcc in 2019. You of course could be running an old kernel.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of MacGregor, Ian A. (Redacted sender "ian" for DMARC) Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 10:10 AM To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org>; jkstill_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: MpxTestDaemon

A shot in the dark, MPX is often an abbreviation for multiplex, but can also mean "multi-processor extension". I wonder if it has something to so with the latter?

Ian A. MacGregor
SLAC IT SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
<oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> > on
behalf of Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com <mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com> > Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 3:00 PM
To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org
<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> >

Subject: MpxTestDaemon

Dear list:

I am investigating a process 'MpxTestDaemon' on a Linux server (RedHat 6.9 as I recall).

This server is running Oracle 12.1, and has 1.5T of RAM.

It is a standalone server, not RAC.

There are some anomalous things occurring with this process.

For instance, at times pidstat reports impossible numbers of minflt/s (mem faults not requiring disk access) being performed: approx 1.85 * 10e18

Right now though all I am asking is this:

Does anyone know what this process is?

Neither Oracle nor the Google have anything helpful.

In Oracle's case, no references at all.

In the meantime, I shall see if I can find out what it is doing.

Thanks.

Jared Still

Principal Consultant at Pythian

Oracle ACE Alumni