Re: Compliance and SSL/TLS Encryption on ODA

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:13:25 -0400

Hi Rob,

To be totally safe, you should use PROTOCOL=IPC. I know you said you had a requirement to use PROTOCOL=TCP. Doing so, with the host's IP address, will surely mean the data will need to go across your TCP connection. What I'm not certain about, is whether using localhost (127.0.0.1) instead of actual host IP will do any real good.

If using PROTOCOL=TCP w/ localhost, I'm not sure how many "shortcuts" the Linux kernel includes (if any), to attempt to avoid actually touching the TCP stack.

Obviously, PROTOCOL=IPC is what you really want to use. If you can't, the next fastest would be PROTOCOL=TCP w/ localhost, but from a compliance point of view, I don't know enough about Linux kernel internals to confirm whether or not you're compliant.

-Mark