Re: Exadata training suggestions

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:33:48 -0400

I will say that Oracle Exadata Cloud _at_ Customer (Exa CC) is quite a bit different than Exadata on-prem *and* also different than Exadata in the cloud. (We're a C_at_C customer)

With Exa CC, you only have access to the DomU (the VMs which are your hostnames).

Patching is quite the nightmare.

Support is quite rough for any issues outside the DomU as you have to engage CloudOps - and may have to engage CloudOps for DomU stuff but not usually.

So support model ends up looking something like this:

Customer=>Create SR
Customer=>Talk to first level Rep that picks up ticket
Customer=>Explain to Rep you're a C_at_C customer (even though you put it in
the ticket and it should be obvious)
Oracle SR Rep=> Tells customer to wait while they enage CloudOps
Customer=>Waits
CloudOps=>Does "x" and finds "y"
CloudOps=>Tell customer "Y"

Oracle SR Rep=>Tells / repeats CloudOps info to Customer Customer=>Tells Oracle SR Rep to tell CloudOps "Z" [rinse & repeat]

I'm not 100% convinced Oracle will be able to successfully make Cloud _at_ Customer work long term without some serious & severe changes. And if there has _ever_ been an over-engineered product at Oracle (I'm looking at you OEM) , Exadata has it in spades.

Chris