RE: Fastest way to count exact number of rows in a very large table

From: Reen, Elizabeth <"Reen,>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 19:40:29 +0000

              Since it is partitioned, why don’t you just count each partition separately? Have you run stats on the old partitions? Assuming that prior years do not change, you should be able to get a count there. If you do an import, then you can get the number of rows from the log. A transportable tablespace, will not mount if there is something wrong.

Liz

Liz Reen
CPB Database Administration

Dev Servers: Oracle | ORasS | Golden Gate | Sybase | MS-SQL | MSaaS | Neo4j | HBase - Prod Servers: Golden Gate | Neo4j | HBase - Team Email: *CPB Database - Hotline: 1 718 248 1416

ServiceNow For: Oracle | OraaS | Golden Gate : ICG NA EX US CPB ORACLE APPLICATION DBAS – For Sybase | MS-SQL | Neo4j | HBase: ICG NA EX CPB SYBASE APPLICATION DBAS

From: [gmail.com] Ashoke Mandal <ramukam1983_at_gmail.com> Sent: Monday, October 5, 2020 3:14 PM
To: Reen, Elizabeth [ICG-IT]
Cc: andysayer_at_gmail.com; ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de; list, oracle Subject: Re: Fastest way to count exact number of rows in a very large table

Hello Ahmed/Andy/Jackson/Mark/Gogala/Liz, Thanks for your response to my posting. Even though my question was how to improve the query time of a query to check row count in a big table, you have also brought up many good points related to cross platform migration.

Here is some information regarding my table: We have used transportable tablespace for data migration. The primary key consists of three columns (UT_ID, UT_SEQ, TEST_DATE). This table is partitioned by date and has one partition for every month. So, 12 partitions for every calendar year and has data for the last 20 years. After adding a parallel hint as described below the query time went down from 2.2 hours to 42 min. Let me know if you have any more recommendations to improve the query time for this select statement.

select /*+ parallel */ to_char(count(*), '999,999,999,999') from test_data;

Ashoke

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Reen, Elizabeth <elizabeth.reen_at_citi.com<mailto:elizabeth.reen_at_citi.com>> wrote:

              We just completed such a transition. We kept the Oracle version the same so we could see the impact of Linux. Transportable tablespaces was how we did it. We were able to move a 17 terabyte database in under 10 hours.

Liz

From: [External] oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> On Behalf Of [External] Andy Sayer Sent: Friday, October 2, 2020 3:09 PM
To: ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de<mailto:ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de> Cc: list, oracle; ramukam1983_at_gmail.com<mailto:ramukam1983_at_gmail.com> Subject: Re: Fastest way to count exact number of rows in a very large table

Just because a table has the same number of rows, it doesn’t mean it has the same data. With 108 billion rows, your data is going to be changing quickly, in order to get accurate counts at the right point in time you’re going to end up keeping your application offline for a window before and after your migration.

What you need to do is determine where you expect data to go missing and work out a way to check.

This will depend on how you’re doing your migration, I would suggest you use Cross-Platform Transportable Tablespaces (Doc Id 371556.1) as that would allow you to do a physical import and just convert the files to the right endianness. This starts by making sure all data has been written to your data files (so they can be read only on the source system). As you’re working with the physical data files rather than the logical data (rows in tables), the only way you’re going to loose rows is by corrupting your files. You can check for corruption using RMAN once you’ve imported the converted files. No need to count all your rows, and no need to hope that that’s all you need to compare.

Hope that helps,
Andy

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 19:38, ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de<mailto:ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de> <ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de<mailto:ahmed.fikri_at_t-online.de>> wrote:

Hi Ashoke,

could you send the execute plan of the query too? I think there is no general approach for that, it depends on several factors: whether the table has indexes (normal/bitmap) and in case the table has indexes the size of the table compared to the existing index...... But generally parallel processing should help.

Best regards

Ahmed

-----Original-Nachricht-----

Betreff: Fastest way to count exact number of rows in a very large table

Datum: 2020-10-02T19:45:19+0200

Von: "Ashoke Mandal" <ramukam1983_at_gmail.com<mailto:ramukam1983_at_gmail.com>>

An: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>>

Dear All,
I have a table with 108 billion rows and migrating this database from Oracle 11g on Solaris to Oracle 12c on Linux.

After the migration I need to compare the row count of this table in both the source DB and the destination DB. It takes almost two hours to get the row count from this table.

SQL> select to_char(count(*), '999,999,999,999') from test_data;

TO_CHAR(COUNT(*)

 108,424,262,144
Elapsed: 02:22:46.18

Could you please suggest some tips to get the row count faster so that it reduces the cut-over downtime.

Thanks,

Ashoke

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Oct 05 2020 - 21:40:29 CEST