RE: DBWR config

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 15:57:24 -0400

Definitely get SLOB and suggest that your storage team is involved with configuring your disk farm to be performance centric for Oracle on the Oracle disk farm and perhaps disjoint from your OS file systems. They can use SLOB to verify or change their suspicions about serving up acreage to Oracle in a way that Oracle can use fast.

Building half a dozen to throw away is not a bad idea to figure out what matters, and then build the one to keep. (Flatlining everything to make sure it resets to how it was from the factory before you rebuild the last one, because surprise surprise, Linux may leave some crap around.

You can re-run SLOB on the final configuration to make sure crud has not krept in.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Rich J Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 2:29 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: DBWR config

Hey Ram,

I think whatever any of us say here regarding Kevin's excellent articles, you'll still need to do the setup and testing yourself, on your hardware, with your OS, and your version and configuration of Oracle.

It's the only way to be sure. Like taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit, as Ripley wanted to do...

Rich

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:45 PM Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

List,

I am considering configuring DBWRs for our new system. I came across this online: https://kevinclosson.net/category/dbwr-performance/ Does the advice hold true today given the blog is a bit dated? We are planning on hosting a multi TB warehouse on Linux.

Thanks

Ram

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Aug 25 2020 - 21:57:24 CEST

Original text of this message