Re: 4 TB LOB Segment (ANYDATA) - Need suggestions

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 22:42:39 -0400

Hi Chris,

LOB segment is a sort of in-database file system but without anything like compact. Space wastage is to be expected. Once upon a time, in a now defunct company called VMS, I tested a successful design with MongoDB. The problem was how to create text index which existed on the LOB field in the Oracle DB. The company tested Lucene and Sphinx and opted for the latter. However, that requires a lot of work and a lot of testing. Wasting space in LOB is horrible, which is to be expected.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant