Re: Oracle database HA on VMWare without using RAC

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 19:09:43 -0400

Hi Amir!

I am primarily a DBA. That is my background. I am not a system administrator or a storage administrator, I don't configure or monitor any of this stuff. However, VMotion promises "zero downtime" which is not possible with Oracle. The fabled bitmaps in VMotion are the same as Oracle's change tracking device for incremental backups: it tracks changed blocks and it does sort of VM snapshot on the fly. It can be a good solution if you move your machine to another host while the database is down. I wouldn't try it with a running DB.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant