Re: Oracle database HA on VMWare without using RAC

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 15:51:14 -0400

Standby database or Golden Gate are rather usual options. Other than that, you can setup a Veritas failover cluster for VMWare:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/ka6f10000000CAjAAM

You can do the same thing using MSFT cluster:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-601-setup-mscs.pdf

There is also VMWare HA:

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_ha_wp.pdf

Last, but definitely not least, there is Commvault Live Sync for VMWare. It's sort of standby for VMWare.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=106002.htm

Virtual machines are disk files. Fail-over clusters move the disk drive to the surviving node and restart the service. There are also hardware based solutions on remote disk replication. Every major SAN vendor (EMC, Hitachi, NetApp) has remote disk replication software, usually for the high end arrays and usually separately licensed. What kind of money are you looking to spend? What is the acceptable switch-over time? Are you looking for the software-only  solution, hardware solution or the combination of both? Here is a good article about VMWare high availability:

https://www.nakivo.com/blog/vm-failover-guide/

This is a question for a system architect within your company. The most important question is how much do you want to spend? When you have the $$$ then it's basically testing various commercial solutions, some of which are listed above.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant