Re: Hash to range partition

From: Lothar Flatz <l.flatz_at_bluewin.ch>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 09:30:54 +0200

Hi Ram,

ok, that looks like Peoplesoft. I am suprised that you do not mention effdt as search criteria. It would be the usual procedure to use id and effdt combined in the query. ("Find the most resent row of an id.") Well, in any way if that would be the case we would have duplicates of the id.
Do we?
You will understand that this makes a major difference, thus we have to find out first.
If effdt is used as I know it from peoplesoft, effdt would be the column to range partition on.
If I get your thinking right, you want to seperate more recent from older rows. That would help your buffer cache. The id (higher means newer) is an indirect way to seperate new from old. Effdt is straight forward.
However, if effdt is never used in queries you must not partition on it. Run this query to find out (you must be sysdba):

select column_name, equality_preds, range_preds, like_preds, equijoin_preds from (
select oo.name owner,

o.name,
c.name column_name,
u.equality_preds,
u.equijoin_preds,
u.nonequijoin_preds,
u.range_preds,
u.like_preds,
u.null_preds,
u.timestamp

from sys.col_usage$ u,
sys.obj$ o,
sys.user$ oo,
sys.col$ c

where o.obj# = u.obj#
and oo.user# = o.owner#
and c.obj# = u.obj#
and c.col# = u.intcol#) dba_col_usage
where owner='&owner'

AND NAME=upper('&table')
ORDER BY equality_preds+ range_preds+ like_preds desc;

Regards

Lothar