18c Service Names

From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 21:01:26 +0000

New environment: 18c EE on X8-2M Bare Metal at ODA 18.8 - Single Instances

I've been testing for migration of 11.2.0.4 DBs on an X5 ODA to the new environment above, multi-tenant. We have ThisDB and ThatDB on the X5.

  • I created CDB1 on the X8 with ThisDBX and ThatDBX PDBs. Did exports from 11g DBs and imported them into 18c DBs. Opened them for testing by Users, which is why I wanted the X suffix so they'd know where they were. -- In the iterative process, I created CDB2 as well and cloned ThisDBX and ThatDBX to it as ThxxDBX1,2,3,etc. and ThxxDBX1,2,3,etc., each time then unplugging ThxxDBX1,2,3 to separate .pdb files. I used those to plug in to CDB1 for startover points. It all worked great. -- Now, when I want to do the final cutover from 11g ThisDB and ThatDB, I drop the current 18c ThxxDBX PDBs and attempt to create new PDBs from the last .pdb files. I want to name them ThisDB and ThatDB, and can create them OK. However, when I attempt to open them I get:

Alter Pluggable Database ThisDB Open Read Write ; Error report -
ORA-44303: service name exists
ORA-44775: Pluggable database service cannot be created. 44303. 0000 - "service name exists"
*Document: Yes
*Cause: This service name was already in existence.
*Action: Provide a new unique service name.

I query v$Services and there is no ThisDB service. I've looked through the 18c docs and on MOS, but can't find anywhere that there's a restriction on Service Names. It looks to me like I can have ThisDBX and ThisDBY, but can't have the subset ThisDB. Is that a fact? If so, where is it documented? If not, can I fix this?

I've tried it by using the Service_Name_Convert function, but that didn't work either and the error message said to try to use the "appropriate" Service_Name_Convert string but, of course, no clue as to what that might be.

I'm at a loss.
Thanks.

--
Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department

I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure.  -- Mark Twain
Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.