Re: Reducing screen time

From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 22:02:24 +0000

Wish you all had something like my "office". It's on the 2nd floor of our home with a view out on our front yard, trees, and the street, so I can look away from my monitors at the squirrels, people, etc. playing and going by. Looking at distant objects DOES work, 'cause I don't suffer, at 69.

Our District, to save money, has had all us Techies work from home for the last 3 years - a Huge benefit that's, sadly, not available to everyone. They gave me a brand new MacBook Pro recently and it's my workstation, though I don't really work on it or I'd be blind by now - teeny little fonts. It's just a platform to remote desktop to two VMs hosted by AISD - one is Win10 and one is Ubuntu.

I splurged and, at my expense (I'm worth it), got two 32" Samsung curved monitors at Sam's Club a few months ago and those are my work focal points. You just must have something bigger than a little ol' laptop screen. The size allows me to adjust resolution so my old eyes can easily read w/o glasses.

DON'T just SIT! I work at a standing "desk", which is a 2'x4' piece of 3/8" plywood on top of a couple of cheap 12" shelf units - all from Homeless Depot - on top of my regular 28" high desk. Got a stool long ago so my working "desk" can stay put, and I'm either sitting on the stool or standing. SO much better than just sitting, or moving one of those annoying Varidesks up and down. With one artificial knee and the other with O.A., I need to keep moving to keep loose.

Think Sustainable. If it's uncomfortable for a short time, it'll be damaging in the long run. Treat yourself to whatever you need. Also, do walk away from time to time to just think about your challenges, instead of banging away on trials.
--

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. -- Mark Twain

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> Sent: Monday, June 22, 2020 09:06
To: mwf_at_rsiz.com <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Cc: oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>; oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Reducing screen time

That is what I do.

Just had to get in the habit of remembering to swap glasses when I walk out of the office.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 06:53 Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com<mailto:mwf_at_rsiz.com>> wrote: Band-aid, not cure: A good eye doctor will know there are mid range prescriptions in addition to near sighted correction and long range focus.

For day long keyboard use get yourself some mid range prescriptions (with bifocal "flat top" if you also need reading glasses). That is maximum size of the upper mid range.

Even if you don't need glasses for reading or long focus, if your eyes differ by just a little bit and are nearly co-dominant, your eye muscles constantly flex just a bit to bring them into exact match when you are staring at a fixed focal plane.

If you're under 35 or so, this little tug may be insignificant. As you age your lens stiffens. When I got to about 50, having never previously needed glasses at all, my eyes started getting "fuzzy" after about four continuous hours. Then I was toast for about two hours, not just for the screen, but for any reading or anything requiring clear focus.

(Taking a break helps, as previously mentioned in the thread.)

A classic case is one eye slightly near sighted and one eye slightly far sighted which tends to mean you don't get glasses (or need them) until you are old...

Good luck. If your eye doctor is NOT familiar with mid range focus plane glasses, get someone new.