Re: Lun size and performance with flash disks : rh7

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 12:30:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Thierry,
first counter question for storage vendor would be: Can you please provide a benchmark (with raw data if possible) that proves your statement?

I mean it is always important to check what they are referring/comparing to. Comparing one SSD/Flash LUN to some old rusty spindle disks ... well yes ... in this case SSD/Flash might always be faster and you are happy anyway.

However if you compare one SSD LUN vs. ten SSD LVM striped LUNs with +15K IOPS or so ... well then the picture is different.

This topic is pretty easy to verify. Just run your workload (e.g. SLOB benchmark) on a file system backed by one big SSD LVM LUN and on file system backed by ten striped LVM SSD LUNs and monitor with iostat -xk 1 <LUNs> .... you gonna see the difference for sure.

Based on my experience with a lot of performance benchmarks - multiple striped (SSD) LUNs make an impact on systems with big I/O load :-)

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK