Re: Anyone using any nifty products to generate a Sales Demo environment off live data?

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_dxc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 18:59:52 +0000

If the Oracle Masking product does not work for you then I expect you need to roll your own masking routines. Perhaps depending on exactly what issues you hit you can use the Oracle tool plus a series of your own routines to prep/complete the work.

Mark Powell
Database Administration
(313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 2:00 PM
To: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Anyone using any nifty products to generate a Sales Demo environment off live data?

Yes - masking or updating data is critical as its a healthcare application.

We have a fast clone process we can use if we want to create a snapshot of the whole database. But not a great option for the Demo since we have to update monster tables. And the Oracle masking product runs into all kinds of issues that made it an awful headache.

I suspect what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

Chris

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 1:52 PM Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com<mailto:jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>> wrote:

Is masking critical data part of the requirement?

Because a very cool feature of multitenant is you can clone a pdb for this very use case of having a copy of prod for doing dev/test work in.

It also supports periodic refreshes as the master data is updated.

But you’d still have to account for the sensitive/PII data you would want to restrict.

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com<mailto:christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>> Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 12:37 PM
To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Anyone using any nifty products to generate a Sales Demo environment off live data?

So we have a 130TB production db for a lot of our Products that we sell.

We have a Demo env that we use dbms_datapump to subset portions of the data into the Demo DB.

Now we've got products in multiple DBs and the business is wanting to create demo environments for all those product lines.

I'm curious if anyone on this list has a product in their Org that facilitates building demo environments off live data .

We tried Oracle's data masking tool but that has severe drawbacks (shortcomings) so we gave up on that (but might have to revisit)

Thanks,

Chris

DXC Technology Company - Headquarters: 1775 Tysons Boulevard, Tysons, Virginia 22102, USA. DXC Technology Company -- This message is transmitted to you by or on behalf of DXC Technology Company or one of its affiliates. It is intended exclusively for the addressee. The substance of this message, along with any attachments, may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information or information that is otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate any part of this message. If you have received this message in error, please destroy and delete all copies and notify the sender by return e-mail. Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind DXC Technology Company or any of its affiliates to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose. --.