RE: (EXT) Re: how recover post 19c database upgrade

From: Steve Wales (AddOns) <"Steve>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 17:48:41 +0000

Depending upon your storage methodology can you take SAN level snapshots ?

We recently went through Oracle 12 to Oracle 18 upgrade, also upgrading our ERP system.

We have a ZFS storage appliance. I shutdown the database and took a snapshot before I started. Upgraded to Oracle 18, another shutdown and snapshot and then ERP system upgrade and new snapshot and then restarted regular backups.

If I needed to restore I had my ZFS snapshots at each of the milestones I could snap back to as needed.

Steve

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Jeffrey Beckstrom Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 7:08 AM
To: Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com> Cc: oracle-l-freelist <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: (EXT) Re: how recover post 19c database upgrade

I do not wish to flash back. Lets say that upgrade finished at time point A. At time point B, something dreadfull happens requiring recovery. We would want to recover until right before the time point B incident.
>>> Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com<mailto:howard.latham_at_gmail.com>> 3/27/20 9:00 AM >>>
I'm not going to say ofcourse it will be fine but for testing purposes I have had to upgrade from 11.2.0.4 to 19c and flashed back many times over the last year successfully. Use guaranteed restore point.

Best Wishes

Howard A. Latham

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 at 12:35, Jeffrey Beckstrom <jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org<mailto:jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org>> wrote: We will be upgrading our EBS 11.2.0.4 database to 19C. Since EBS, we also have to then convert the database to multi-tenant. Support is telling me that a post-upgrade backup is not required and that rman pre plugin recovery option is not designed to recover through an upgrade.

Question, in event of a catastrophe, how would we recover our database post upgrade?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator
Information Technology Department
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

This email has been scanned for spam and viruses. Click here<https://attseg.cloud-protect.net/index01.php?mod_id=11&mod_option=logitem&mail_id=1585314079-srL6QI1mdpLZ&r_address=jbeckstrom%40gcrta.org&report=1> to report this email as spam.

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived.