Re: RMAN leaving orphaned backup files in FRA

From: Leng Burgess <lkaing_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:31:20 +1100

Hi Rich,

Sorry about the db restart - I forgot that the parameter was dynamic!

I guess when development was writing the code they may have had a small db and only backed up once a day. But if you have a very large db and plenty of archive logs and backup them up often throughout the day then you will soon run out of control file sections.

Look at v$controlfile_record_section. This gives you an idea of how many records are in use. I have changed mine from 7 to 8 but it made no difference but then again my db is very small so the default is ok.

If at all possible use a recovery catalog and then you won’t get caught out with such issues.

Cheers,

Leng.