Re: 19c database duplication

From: Franck Pachot <franck_at_pachot.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 06:26:21 +0100

Hi Jeffrey,
If you don’t want to read the database files then you can: - duplicate CDBS to an auxiliary on same server (same filesystem) as CDBT. Only CDB$ROOT and PDB1 (there’s a skip pluggable database) - unplug PDB1
- move (just a rename as you have put it on same file system) data files to CDBT subdirectory
- plug to CDBT
- drop PDB1 from Auxiliary (keep data files) remove all remains from auxiliary database
- drop PDB1 from CDBS
Franck.

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 21:16, Ghassan Salem <salem.ghassan_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> You can either clone from the active database (very much similar to rman's
> duplicate from active, but way easier), or restore from a backup, see here
> <https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/20/bradv/rman-duplicating-databases.html#GUID-9E630E2C-3D1B-4594-B738-4B5B43E50C58>
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:27 PM Jeffrey Beckstrom <jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org>
> wrote:
>
>> But isn't that reading the datafile's directly? What if we do not want to
>> use the current database but rather a prior backup?
>> You just clone the pdb, via create pluggable database xyz from
>> pdb1_at_sourcedb. It will copy db files and then 'recover' them by itself.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 19:36 Jeffrey Beckstrom <jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If I have:
>>> source CDBS
>>> PDB1