Re: RMAN backups of SAP database

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 23:13:53 -0500

BR*Tools do leave a log file and have several methods. One of them is UTL_FILE, the other one is RMAN. UTL_FILE is basially, version 7 style backup of files with the database in the backup mode. Another brbackup method is RMAN, with some twists. BR*Tools can't utilize catalog. I wander what method is used by BR*Tools. BR*Tools, as opposed to RMAN, can also utilize snapshots. The phrase "SAP backup" doesn't mean much without the exact configuration of brbackup. BR*backup is also backing up the SAP configuration files, which are ignored by usual RMAN backups. SAP only certifies BR*Tools for SAP R3 backup. RMAN backup is not certified. There are many nuances here, and discussing BR*Tools without knowing the details is pointless.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant