Re: AWS S3 Backups

From: Maris Elsins <elmaris_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 01:06:09 +0200

Hi all,

> or can I just mount the bucket as a file system using fuse

No one is talking about using fuse, so I'll try. I don't think it's going to be possible to use fuse for this purpose. End of the day S3 is object storage, and not a file system. You can upload a file (object), you can replace a file and you can delete a file from it, but you can't change an existing file. Changing an existing object actually replaces the whole object (reads it, modifies it, and upload the new version)
My understanding is that fuse is just a layer on top of S3, that presents it to you as a file system, but it's still limited by the same API calls and behavior of S3 underneath.
I shouldn't be much wrong to assume that RMAN will write the backup pieces using 1 MB writes (maybe it's a different value, but it should still be relatively small), so you'll get a lot of tiny changes to the backup piece on S3 (via fuse), and each of them will undergo the read/modify/upload process. It will be slow and inefficient.

OSB has a parameter - OSB_WS_CHUNK_SIZE, that "*Specifies the object size, in bytes, that will used when storing backups to Amazon S3. The default size is 100MB.*". I assume that OSB caches the chunks locally, and then uploads the whole piece in a single operation to S3. This is why it can perform much better.

P.S Needless to say, I haven't used any of these approaches :D

---
Maris Elsins