Re: AWS S3 Backups

From: Charlotte Hammond <"Charlotte>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 17:52:03 +0000 (UTC)

 Hi Mladen,
OSB is intended to work with AWS:  https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/RCMRF/web_services.htm#RCMRF90489  That document gives advantages over using tape but not over just mounting the S3 bucket as a file system.   S3 is our target rather than glacier. Thanks,Charlotte On Thursday, February 6, 2020, 05:29:41 PM GMT, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

IMHO, OSB Cloud Module is specific for Oracle Cloud and will not help with AWS. The problem is in the letter "A" which doesn't get along with the big red "O". What is your backup destination? Another S3 LUN? Local storage? Glacier?

You can do rman to another S3 LUN by allocating disk channels (no device type SBT). For Glacier, you need some kind of an enterprise backup utility which can write to Glacier (Commvault, Rubrik, Veeam, Cohesity) and the configuration is product specific. Oracle Secure Backup is just another enterprise backup tool, much like DD Boost, TSM, NetBackup or the previously mentioned utilities.

 On 2/6/20 11:34 AM, Charlotte Hammond (Redacted sender charlottejanehammond for DMARC) wrote:

 Hello All,
  AWS backups question: if I want to backup by database to an S3 bucket using RMAN do I need to use the OSB Cloud Module or can I just mount the bucket as a file system using fuse?   If the latter is possible, what would the benefits of using OSB be?   Many thanks, Charlotte --
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant
Tel: (347) 321-1217