RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: GI version 18 or 19c?

From: Khan, Muhammad <MKhan16_at_northwell.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:07:23 +0000

Thanks everyone. Just found out that 19c wont support the standard ed (that’s what we have for this project). It means either we give up on RAC or install 18c instead.

Any thoughts?

Ref:
Desupport of Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) with Oracle Database Standard Edition 19c (Doc ID 2504078.1)

From: Mark J. Bobak [mailto:mark_at_bobak.net] Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:32 PM To: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com> Cc: Khan, Muhammad <MKhan16_at_northwell.edu>; Alfredo Abate <alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com>; ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: GI version 18 or 19c?

External Email. Use Caution.
One difference I have noticed with 19c, over 12.2 or 18c, is in using ASM Filter Driver. When you do 'asmcmd afd_label label_name /dev/nvme10n1p1, on 12.2 or 18c, it takes *forever*....up to a minute or more, in my case. No errors, and it does work fine, it's just exceedingly slow. In 19c, I get sub-second response time. I haven' drilled down to see what's going on, I'm just happy it's resolved in 19c.

Again, this is on Linux.

-Mark

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 3:28 PM Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com<mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>> wrote: I havent noticed a huge difference in stability between 18c and 19c GI. I would go with 19c just because you can stay on it a little longer. However, my experience is Linux. I havent done GI on AIX since 10gR2.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 2:19 PM Khan, Muhammad <MKhan16_at_northwell.edu<mailto:MKhan16_at_northwell.edu>> wrote: Thanks Alfredo. I should have mentioned its AIX 7.2 and a two-node cluster on each pre-prod and prod.

From: Alfredo Abate [mailto:alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com<mailto:alfredo.abate_at_gmail.com>] Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:15 PM To: Khan, Muhammad <MKhan16_at_northwell.edu<mailto:MKhan16_at_northwell.edu>> Cc: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: GI version 18 or 19c?

External Email. Use Caution.
We went through a similar upgrade. 19c is the way to go as it's the long-term supported version (think 11.2.0.4). If you are using Linux, you'll need version 7 or higher to use 19c.

See the My Oracle Support document, Release Schedule of Current Database Releases (Doc ID 742060.1)

Alfredo

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 1:58 PM Khan, Muhammad <MKhan16_at_northwell.edu<mailto:MKhan16_at_northwell.edu>> wrote: Hi all,

So we are heading towards migrating our current environment which is on the primitive version of 11.2.0.3. My personal idea is to upgrade to one of the latest versions of Grid Infrastructure. Either 18c or 19c.

As per your knowledge, experience and observation, which GI version is more stable?

One thing to keep in mind (a possible complication) is that the app vendor is not ready for database higher than ver 12.1.0.2. Which means whatever GI version we proceed with, the DB will still be 12.1

Suggestions please!

Thanks.

-Saad

The information contained in this electronic e-mail transmission and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom or to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or disclosure of this communication and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and electronic mail, and delete the original communication and any attachment from any computer, server or other electronic recording or storage device or medium. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any attorney-client, physician-patient or other privilege.

--

Andrew W. Kerber

[...]

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Jan 31 2020 - 22:07:23 CET

Original text of this message