RE: CentOS instead of RHEL?

From: Clay Jackson (cjackson) <"Clay>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 22:29:13 +0000

We OCCASIONALLY get customers running CentOS (for Foglight or SharePlex) trying to run Oracle.

I had one customer try to load the Oracle 10 client (For testing Foglight monitoring a database running on an RHEL server) have significant issues with missing libraries or bad versions of libraries. They eventually went back and reinstalled CentOS and selected "install everything", which seemed to clear up the problem.

Bottom line, I wouldn't trust ANY Oracle products on CentOS.

Clay Jackson
Database Solutions Sales Engineer
clay.jackson_at_quest.com<mailto:clay.jackson_at_quest.com> office 949-754-1203 mobile 425-802-9603 [cid:image001.png_at_01D5D5E7.4F646980]

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Herring, David Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 2:22 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: CentOS instead of RHEL?

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not follow guidance, click links, or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Today one of my leaders approached our team informing us that our sysadm team was planning on migrating from RHEL to CentOS and wanted to know if we knew of any issues running Oracle products on CentOS. As any good DBA would do when presented with this, I checked certifications in MOS and couldn't find anything that explicitly listed CentOS. So I assumed that some flavors of Linux are just dumped under the grouping "Redhat" but just to be sure I opened an SR.

Oracle came back with:

Remember, CentOS and Scientific Linux, both of which are clones of RHEL (like Oracle Linux), are not supported by Oracle for the database and WebLogic installations, so you CAN NOT use these. You can happily use them for non-Oracle installations though.

CentOS is similar to Oracle Linux. Free to use, but you can choose to pay for support.

Therefore; it is not the same and is not certified and we do not test on it. If there is an issue, Oracle Support does not support it.

Seems pretty clear to me - not supported so there's no way we'd allow hundreds of complex production envs be migrated to CentOS. But I have a hard time believing the sysadm team (outsourced and we're just 1 of many clients they support) would not have come across this issue already. So there's nothing to read into/between lines on this one - no support. Right? No one out there (unless living on the edge) is running Oracle on CentOS in production? Just doing a double-tap to make sure.

Regards,

Dave