Re: Exadata Cloud at Customer Pricing

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 13:35:13 -0500

I don't have a lot of information on the pricing but here's basically what we encountered and continue to encounter with Exa CC.

  1. Going from NON-RAC to Exadata CC RAC, we ended up needing 1.5x OCPUs to match our CPU capacity of our previous single-instance legacy server. We had 72 Physical Cores (144 threads) prior to cutover and had to ramp up our OCPU capacity to 104 (208 threads) which is almost exactly what VMWare requires when going from physical to virtual. The DomUs are virtual machines in Exa CC (for lack of a better term)
  2. Customer support through Oracle Support is pretty bad for ExaCC if you need any Cloud OPs work. You open a ticket with Oracle support tech, they have to get someone from Cloud OPs and at NO TIME do you have access to the Cloud Ops engineer unless you jump through a ton of hoops to get them on a conf call. I'm not sure the support logistics are sustainable for Exa CC customers for customers that have a lot of issues.
  3. When Oracle installed our Exa CC machine in our data center, it wasn't quite configured correctly and isn't easily expandable so we're jumping through some more hurdles to get onto a bigger system.

All-in-all, I can't say Exa CC has been a good decision and we were able to talk to other Exa CC customers that had a lot of pain as well but eventually they get ironed out (or so they assure us).

Thanks,
Chris