Re: Is enq: TX - row lock contention a wait or syscall

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 14:27:46 -0500

That is nice to know but ultimately not very important. When analyzing a trace file, still the best and most reliable method of tuning an application, what you want to know is how much time is spent waiting and what is the application waiting for. The fact that the wait events are implemented as as semtimedop call is ultimately not very relevant. Furthermore, it's probably not that call on threaded architecture, like Windows. That makes me ask: is anyone using threaded architecture on Linux? Many fewer system calls should provide some benefits, as far as CPU is concerned.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant