Re: Goldengate and DW

From: John Hallas <john.hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:19:51 +0000

In conjunction with all the other comments I would suggest you consider how real time you need the data into the 'replicated' database. If replication stops for any reason then the volume of backlog from the DW could be very substantial and take some time to catch-up. In which case any queries from the 'replicated' database will not necessarily be consistent or accurate.

John

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 at 21:23, Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I hear about long running transactions a lot. It looks like we
> have to be careful during nightly loads, esp long running ones.
>
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 2:56 PM Bobby Curtis <curtisbl_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ram,
>>
>> GoldenGate and DataGuard are two different products with two different
>> purposes.
>>
>> 1. DataGuard is for disaster recovery and used mostly for physical
>> standby (passive/active).
>> 2. GoldGate is a logical replication tool.
>>
>> GoldenGate allows you to move data in real-time. If your database has a
>> lot of transactions the extract process will capture transactions and use
>> memory between 5M-50M depending on the amount of data that is being
>> captured. The memory requirement though has been shifted into the database
>> so you would actually need to have a STREAMS_POOL_SIZE of 1.25G allocated
>> for the integrated extract. Classic Extract was deprecated in 18.1.
>>
>> Long running transactions can be managed by using the CACHEMGR and the
>> Bound Recovery (BR) settings. Depending on how far back you have to go,
>> retention of archive logs would be needed.
>>
>> For GoldenGate, remember that the definition of lag is commit-to-commit.
>> So a large transaction could potentially increase your lag. In newer
>> versions of GoldenGate this has been addressed by using the integrated
>> extract and the parallel replicat. This lowers the lag and allows you a
>> few different options for how transactions are applied on the target side.
>>
>> Overall, both GoldenGate and DataGuard allow you to build a remote site.
>> Which product to use depends on your use case and architecture.
>>
>> > On Jan 13, 2020, at 2:16 PM, Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Listers,
>> >
>> > Can we consider GG (goldengate) for replication of our multi TB data
>> warehouse. Anything nuances, surprises there? Between GG and Dataguard
>> which one can be a better product.
>> > Licensing cost is NOT an issue.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Ram
>> > --

*Software Asset Manager*

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC

Mob: 07876 790540

Email: john.hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk

Non Working days -   16,21,23,28,30 January

Teamwork 17/1 (AM), 20/1 (AM)

--

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949.
The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford,

If you are not the intended
recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have
received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its
attachments in any way.

This email does not constitute a contract in
writing for the purposes of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions)
Act 1989.

Our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase, as may be
amended from time to time, apply to any contract that we enter into. The
current version of our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase is
available at:http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop
<http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop>

Although we have taken steps to ensure
the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or
accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to
carry out their own virus checks.