Re: 12.1-12.2 PDB Upgrade with TDE

From: Ruan Linehan <ruandav_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 20:19:44 +0000

Hi Angthony,

Yes, have tried to rekey and also tried to explicitly direct the cloned PDB to "use" the supposedly (partially?) imported key (when the key has been imported prior to a clone attempt). e.g. administer key management use key 'Abcf34545....etc' identified by "password2" with backup;

Notably, a rekey or the 'use key' AKM commands will not work until I have brought the cloned PDB out of restricted mode as I will receive the error below...
ORA-28442: Rekey of the TDE Master encryption key is not permitted when the database is in restricted mode...

Which means that I pretty much have to attempt an import of the key to remove the pdb_plug_in_violation, and perform the upgrade steps, in order to reach a position where I must close/open the PDB to finally get it out of restricted mode *before* I attempt to either 'set' or 'use key'... and by that stage, the PDB is not in a positive state with the usual TDE specific errors and complaints completely littering the alert log.

There are about 33 slightly different methods now (in terms of either sequencing or commands) which I have attempted to perform. All of which I know do not work in my scenario. Just hoping someone may have crossed this particular bridge before me and can suggest what just one working sequence/path should look like, so I can focus on debugging that route...

Thanks,
Ruan