RE: ITL waits in the dictionary

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 10:28:48 -0500

so in addition to multiple thread suite updates where 10s of thousands of indexes are dropped and created, a partitioned index would presumably mimic the situation you found via CTAS on seg$.

I’ve always been mystified by large.bsq was not adopted as the default once storage got pretty doggone cheap. The total cost in blocks of storage is pretty small compared to pretty much eliminating dictionary contention.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tanel Poder Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 9:11 AM
To: Jonathan Lewis
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: ITL waits in the dictionary

I have an old presentation of a severe SEG$ contention case (both gc buffer busy waits and enq: ITL waits against it) caused by highly parallel CTAS to partitioned table that caused many new segments (one for each partition) created and later extended concurrently. That caused SEG$ block modification contention.

https://www.slideshare.net/tanelp/troubleshooting-complex-performance-issues-oracle-seg-contention

--

Tanel Poder

https://blog.tanelpoder.com/seminar

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 4:07 PM Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Trying to come up with some reason why ind$ might be subject to ordinary ITL waits - if you're gathering stats use a level of concurrency greater than one the ind$ could be subject to N concurrent processes updating it.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> Sent: 20 November 2019 17:46
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: ITL waits in the dictionary

I have a bad habit of checking whether any objects in the database are being used so intensely to cause ITL waits. I do occasionally encounter an object and if it's a user object, I can usually fix it. However, here is something that I'm stuck with:

SQL> select owner,object_name,object_type,value from v$segment_Statistics where statistic_name like 'ITL%' and value>0; OWNER OBJECT_NAME OBJECT_TYPE VALUE ________ ______________ ______________ ________

SYS      IND$           TABLE              1049
SYS      SEG$           TABLE                69
SYS      CDEF$          TABLE                22
SYS      I_OBJ2         INDEX                 1
SYS      I_OBJ5         INDEX                 1
SYS      I_COL1         INDEX                 4

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Nov 22 2019 - 16:28:48 CET

Original text of this message